Shep's Dryest Box

For mods not specific to any printer
Shep
Discord Handle: @Shep
Owned M3D Printers: Original Micro, Pro, ProMega

Shep's Dryest Box

Post by Shep » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:56 am

SYNOPSIS
Built a better dry box. Because I can. And I know how. Here's the progress.

PROGRESS BY DATE
2018-09-26 - Fill Port / Drain Plug
2018-09-26 - "Shrimp Mesh" Discovery (CURRENT)

INSTRUCTIONS
(None yet, need to finish first!)

Shep

Re: Shep's Dryest Box

Post by Shep » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:07 am

Ever look at a filament dry box and wonder how it's supposed to stay dry when you're constantly opening the entire lid to access the silica gel in the first place?

Yeah me too

For those that ignore countless moms / wives saying "close that door you're letting all the cold air in!", the normal routine of fixing up a tupperware bin to allow for bowden tube ends, rods, oftentimes even (yeah I'll say it) idiotically including weatherstripping or caulking or sealant, during which the entire point of a DRY box is entirely forgotten it seems, didn't pass the d.u.h. test.

So I fixed that.

In a matter of five minutes of thought, I had my first prorotype (which has clear and evident problems I'll get to in a second). My basis of thought: what requires filling and draining without disassembly? Well, as a car guy, my mind went "oil!" and prototype #1 was born. Here's a few pics, although it never saw active service due to these flaws:

20180827_150605.jpg
20180827_150210.jpg
20180827_150216.jpg

The problems? Well for starters it's quite messy. Filling up spills onto the filament itself, which isn't good. And it requires tipping the entire box to drain the silica gel (and worse, contaminants). But with the minimal amount of air exposure, it's still a far cry from replacing every past shred of dry air and starting the battle anew.

Granted it's not typically a large issue in the first place. But why stop here when you can get even more interesting? Stay tuned.

Shep

Re: Shep's Dryest Box

Post by Shep » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:26 am

Recently I decided to investigate just how difficult this whole thing really was once and for all. Turns out, the answer is "not that hard". Needing to spill filament everywhere just to see it (and, thus, dry everything) is an obvious issue. So I kept thinking there was either a clear tubing I could use, or even better, some kind of mesh.

Two approaches stemmed from this as a result. 1) a very thin letter "D" shape, with the upper and lower corners being solid, with the curved part being rather mesh-like, or 2) some kind or drop-in canister a. la. Doc Brown Plutonium Special that you would drop into the box, while also containing the silica gel in a mesh enclosure. Growing up with anywhere from one to three fish tanks in my house, I kept thinking back to how there *must* be something used in aquariums for this exact reason.

My intuition was right! It's called a "shrimp mesh", which serves the purpose of preventing the shrimp from being sucked up into the filter. Even better, it's purpose is to deal water pressurez deterioration, harsh chemicals, impacts, and still hold up. None of those (okay, maybe impacts) apply to a dry box.

Here's a couple pics:
81RIdWO+4+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
71zcUFqfHiL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Now, there's two drawbacks here. 1) it's metal, which limits options for drying (really though, small cup will take you far on that one, metal and microwaves just don't mix), and 2) more work is still required, though that applies above too.

Here's the [ link ] to the shrimp mesh I'm deciding on. Two well rated for the price of one equivalent mediocre rated absolutely hook me up! Will update after a while, I need to completely redo my dryboxes for this one sadly as I have none left....

Stay tuned!