New Member Introductions

For discussions not relating to M3D (general 3D printing chit-chat still goes here)
TheBum

New Member Introductions

Post by TheBum » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:53 pm

This thread is a place for new forum members to introduce themselves. I'll start.

My name is Alan. I am a current owner of a Promega, which is an upgrade from a Micro+. My hobbies are 3D design/printing and RC aircraft, primarily helicopters. I hail from the state of Texas. I am married and I'm owned by three cats.

Shep
Discord Handle: @Shep
Owned M3D Printers: Original Micro, Pro, ProMega, Crane

Re: New Member Introductions

Post by Shep » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:58 pm

Welcome! Glad someone made this thread.

My name is Shep! Kind of. It comes from my last name. Too many guys named Mike/Michael everywhere I go so the name "Shep" kinda stuck since high school. Been running with it ever since! (And see! Even the CEO has my first name so THERE :lol: )

Married with two fur babies (cats) myself. I have about 300 in-laws of all ages so... yeah, enjoying the uncle/cousin/nephew/great/nephew thing.

I've had a plethora of 3D printers but only one that's not an M3D brand worked. I frequently refer to it as my "fwoosh 🔥" machine since it was literally on fire once. there's a "long version" story but suffice to say I've rebuilt it from the ground up half a dozen times at least -- there is not a single nut or bolt on that guy which hasn't been removed / reinstalled multiple times. That serious troubleshooting experience alone (which ultimately wound up requiring about 1.5x more than the machine itself originally cost for replacement parts) taught me 90% of what I know, and actual printing/designing makes up the rest.

Pre-ordered Original Micro (traded in by now) / Kickstartered Pro / FFL'd ProMega.

Hobbies: 3D printing, working on my cars (whatever my current "pride and joy" is will be in my avatar), electronics hobbyist, guitar/bass (yes, I djent, though not well), getting into RC but not quite yet -- budget won't allow at the moment (soon though!). Play video games when I find the time.

Excited to see what this place has to offer!

TheBum

Post by TheBum » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:59 am

Welcome, Shep! You are a valuable participant on Discord and I'm sure that will carry over to this forum.

Shep

Post by Shep » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:28 pm

Likewise ;)

HEY Kenny, your turn! :D

Kenny66
Site Admin

Post by Kenny66 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:29 pm

Hi, my name is Kevin and I'm an addict..

Background is in IT mostly. 30 years as computer technician, 2nd level customer support, network administrator, outdoor WiFi guru, and over the last 5 years 3D printing aficionado. My first printer was a Flashforge Creator Dual. It's been, and still is, a workhorse of a printer. While only one extruder still works, it makes beautiful prints.

While waiting for the Promega to ship I got bored and ordered a TronXY X5s. I find I prefer cube printers over the i3 design. Something about the bed moving around that doesn't sit right in the back of my mind I guess. So I've been playing with that and my first Promega. The second one showed up today and I'm clearing space for it. The 3rd one, purchased from someone that didn't have as much patience, should be on it's way in a week or two.

Current plan is turning this into a color print farm. (yup, all of the Promegas have the Quad on order) so that will help me stand out in the crowd of other printers on the print for money sites.

Other than 3D printing, I have a wife, 4 sons, 2 dogs, my mom's cat, and likely a bleeding ulcer from all of those...

Kenny66

jdjeff

Post by jdjeff » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:26 pm

Jeff here aka jdjeff in Discord. I would like to see the updates and some of the info that has been passed along in discord like common solutions to common problems. Or when someone says, "how's your belt tension".....would be nice to find a thread that explains the different procedures for these cause and effect solutions. Seems this is a good start as I can think of a few items right off the top of my head that seem to be common knowledge of the few regular participants in discord. I go in there enough to be recognized but I surely am not caught up as far as where we are in this somewhat painful learning process to get this machine tuned correctly. So here is my list of things I've seen talked about but have little understanding as how to proceed so I'm all caught up:

1. How would I know if I need to tighten my belts. What is the procedure?
2. I've seen (and even printed) zend stop things and don't understand what they are used for?
3. I only found out today about the drilling out of the teflon tubes. Is this proven?
4. I had to dig to find the reason behind increasing stepper motor current which I'm having some difficulty understanding why we would need to do that in the first place.
5. Seems there are some user mods in progress that I was made aware of in the last couple of days....the idler mod and the gearbox mod. But by dumb luck I was in Discord and that's how I found out about it. Would be nice to have a thread that listed common issues that resulted in these mods. So if I'm already experiencing the issue, is it because of my own ignorance or is there other people having the same problems resulting in design improvements and/or mods.
6. I know you don't want whiners in here, but the CEO has already demonstrated some resistance or just plain arrogance when the M3D design gets challenged. I see no need to have long dragged out rants about it, but there are members that might be intimidated by this and NOT post their ideas to improve upon what I really think is a substandard design, rushed (for whatever reason), and budget related poor decisions that really did this machine a disservice in my opinion....not to mention the good faith backers who deserved a higher quality machine for the money they laid out. So having the main line for support being handed off to super users in a chatroom where we are supposed to be limiting our frustration to just facts, really takes the burden of support off M3D in so many ways.
7. That being said, there are MANY new Promega users to 3D printing in general. The machine was marketed to the micro user and the general public as plug and play. I see it all the time when a new user logs in saying "Hey, I'm so and so and new to 3D printing". How about a thread for dummies? How about a sticky post on what the heck github even is all about let alone how to navigate it. Just really need something that can get someone "new to 3D printing" up to speed with the whole concept of open source.

In any event, I hope this can meet the objective that Kenny outlined in the readme post.

Shep

Post by Shep » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:21 pm

All excellent suggestions Jeff! I bolded some "note to self" parts so I wouldn't forget to do them later (I'll edit this out like this when I tackle them)

#1 and #2 -- I can post a bit about this but it would help to have people not already on the forum address this. I know exactly who. I'll hound them.

#3 -- came straight from ProMega Updates channel, it is fairly proven yes, though that should be stated elsewhere on the forum and not in a "new member introduction" thread (note to self to address soon!)

#4 -- I hear this a lot but don't know myself. I know who would, I'll hound him too.

#5 -- Yeah that guy I am trying to get here as well. I will hound that guy too. (They do know this is M3D authorized at least, right? M3D is isolating the two but gave us the green light, or that logo top left wouldn't be there) [ Thread here ]

#6 -- This forum is totally isolated from the Discord by design. A lot of what goes on in Discord will not fly here, we're here to grow, and most importantly be nice in the process. Even bickering and I might step in a hair. To be blunt, I was the "hardass" admin back in the days of a forum full of adolescent males (99% teenagers really, a thousand active at any given time). That's why I'm here now, I've already had my hands dirty in the past and wasn't afraid to keep the peace even if it meant pissing a few off. The goal is ensuring everyone remain civil. Everyone, I will not have any exceptions to that rule. The rules Kenny posted I think are honestly beautiful, they're short and to the point. Be respectful of others. Simple. If a mod, admin, hell even employee can't do this, they will be treated the same as any other user.

That said -- and I know it may be off-putting, but hear me out -- I want this place to be a forum where others don't feel bad for joining and asking what they may feel is a very, very dumb question. The way to do that is to have an inviting atmosphere, where yeah things may get over your head but we're all here to learn and asking the simple stuff is met with warming responses. That is my goal, and what I want to maintain. Stopping conflicts before they start is the best way to keep tensions low I've found. And not all actions are disciplinary -- in fact the most effective ones aren't.

May be a long winded answer but hopefully you'll see here that I fully agree with you. That's just how I approach it 8-)

#7 -- See #6, but also yes note to self to address soon! Done

Also note to self get those guys over here pronto, they're leading the pack and if they're not here.....

jdjeff

Post by jdjeff » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:23 pm

Thanks Shep....I guess I went off topic for this particular thread, but it maybe (almost) describes who I am and how I got here. I probably should have started a new thread titled something like "What I would like to see in the forum" But just for the record, my beef was never with any of the backers in discord. I got alot of help in there from some very patient and tolerant people. I think you know where I'm coming from with my real grievances on this project. In any case, I see a brighter future for the Promega backer as a result of this forum.

ktapper

Post by ktapper » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:05 pm

Hello I am a "Kevin" as well.

I mostly hobbyist and print random items. I had a Mirco, have a Pro and a ProMega. I also own a Kodama Trinus. I am learning a lot and like to pass it on. I am Mechanical Engineer and quite handy and learn fast. Still need a lot of help with settings as its a bit overwhelming sometimes.

I have a comment on couple of the items above.

#4 Current is related to the torque the stepper can generate. Increasing it will increase torque and this limit skipping. M3D support told me they have tested 550ma and it will run hot but solves most skipping issues. Its current solution from them to solve skipping after you do the shroud and drill the tube.

MyronW
Discord Handle: MyronW
Owned M3D Printers: Original Micro, Micro+, ProMega

Post by MyronW » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:37 pm

Hi- my name is Myron, and my first 3D printer was the Micro, then the Micro+, and now the Promega. I've spent my career in manufacturing, half of it as a plastics process engineer, and half in Quality Assurance. I have a wide range of interests, including woodworking, RC airplanes, and now 3D printing.

My wife and I have eight kids and six grandkids, and we live about 40 miles NNE of San Diego. I work in Carlsbad, on the coast, and my drive home takes me right past Fry's Electronics, that den of enablement, and for some reason a strange gravity pulls me into the parking lot when there is a sale on filament and other goodies.

Having the Promega has been an education. Coming from the easy-to-use M3D front end for the Micro+ to the Duet Maestro has forced me to learn so much in a short while. It wasn't that I didn't know anything about 3D printing, it was that I didn't even suspect it!