Compound Head - Feed Issues

YotaConnectors

Compound Head - Feed Issues

Post by YotaConnectors » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:16 pm

Hello all,

I'm looking for some assistance with the compound feed mech. The filament, no matter how I insert it into the head skips. When I send a print, it doesn't feed smoothly and gums up as the print head moved around. 9-10 hours into setup/troubleshooting and I still haven't made my first print with this unit...

I have attempted to relocate the feed tubing, that improved the situation a bit but it still miss fed. I also attempted to feed filament "free floating", just guiding it into the feed hole by hand with no pressure or serious bends, still miss feeds.

Thanks

TheBum

Re: Compound Head - Feed Issues

Post by TheBum » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:09 pm

M3D actually addressed this with more powerful extruder stepper motors as an upgrade. IMO, these should be in the printer from the factory.

https://store.printm3d.com/collections/ ... 7464354894

Before that, there was an aftermarket solution using a gearbox to multiply the torque of the stock motors, but production of the mod has ceased temporarily.

https://racingtransponderfix.ecwid.com/ ... p121815677

I have the latter and it eliminated the skipping.

YotaConnectors

Post by YotaConnectors » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:23 pm

Thanks for the info.

Is there a chance the nozzle is clogged with something causing this?

TheBum

Post by TheBum » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:39 am

YotaConnectors wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:23 pm
Thanks for the info.

Is there a chance the nozzle is clogged with something causing this?
That's certainly the first thing I'd check. Also, you might try running the filament straight down into the extruder instead of going through the feed tubes. If none of those work, then you're probably looking at replacing motors. Fortunately, a pack of two upgraded motors is less than $100.