Does the Promega Unbound Glass Fiber print sheet just suck?

aperezbios

Does the Promega Unbound Glass Fiber print sheet just suck?

Post by aperezbios » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:36 pm

I recently got my base/discount Promega 3D printer set up, and attempted a first run and bed leveling. I've found that the bundled https://store.printm3d.com/collections/ ... iber-sheet that came with the printer is godawful, and simply will not lie flat enough against the heated bed it sits atop to be sufficient for daily use. I am completely unable to get a flat enough print bed for normal use. Am I doing something wrong? I've attached it with the supplied clips, which keep it secured, but it bows upwards in the middle by a non-trivial amount.

Before I go and drop $100 plus shipping on their fancy glass bed sheet, are there any pointers or things I can try, besides the bundled sheet? Is the glass print bed worth the premium? I'd love to hear from someone who has actually used it.

TheBum

Re: Does the Promega Unbound Glass Fiber print sheet just suck?

Post by TheBum » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:03 am

My main issue with the Unbound sheet is its delicate surface. If you have a small part that you can't get a good grip on and you have to scrape it off, the Unbound sheet scratches and gouges way too easily. I went back to glass.

cwleveck

Post by cwleveck » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:11 am

Short time lurker first time poster......
I don't know why mine lays flat but it does.... And I LOVE it. Question though. I am running strictly PLA with a board temp of 50-60 and I tend to print stuff and go to bed....
When I go to pull my parts off, they are already off. I don't have to scrape or pull or futz with anything.
If I try to pull them off right away, there is hardly any resistance. If I start a print and have to restart because of an iD10T error, while the bed is still cooling down then its stuck on there...
Having not had any issues with the bed I haven't done any reading on it.... So is this normal behavior? Will ABS behave similarly?
What would be the advantage, if any, to going to a glass bed?

simulacron

Post by simulacron » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:22 pm

I love the glass fiber sheet. It works amazingly well to have pla stick when heated and immediately release when cooled. I agree that it does scratch far too easily. If i forget to microstep before starting i tend to drag the nozzle and scratch the sheet.
I also had a few issue getting the sheet to lay flat properly on the bed. What i did was use some 3m adhesive strips (double-sided adhesive) to pin down the two side, once that was set i havent had a single problem since.

TheBum

Post by TheBum » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:28 pm

I'm still printing on glass with glue stick on my Crane after my experiment with the Unbound sheet on two printers (Crane and Promega), especially now that I know the trick to quickly and easily removing old glue from the glass: it's as simple as spritzing the bed with water and then dragging a putty knife over the bed to scrape off the dissolved glue.